PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you fly on a 787?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2013, 22:41
Laarbruch72

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to disappoint but 787 is an ali tube
Freudian slip? It's a carbon fibre tube which is the whole point, but I'll give you the credit.

In answer to the OP, I have flown it, and would again. All new aircraft have problems, in this age they're so much more under the media microscope than ever before, in my airline we were approached last Friday with frenzied enquries about our battery fires etc even though we've had no problems... they're actively looking for stories now.
Many industry people will remember that the A380 was the nightmare de jour in the press a few years back. While these aircraft are flying lots and lots of sectors with very few hiccups and no hull losses I see no reason why I'd avoid them.

Ask yourself this... Boeing 737s, Airbus A320s, A330s etc all perform air turn backs several times a day, many experience significant faults (engine shut downs, electrical issues, smoke or fumes on board) on a regular basis, but does it stop you flying on one? The fact that the new aircraft of the day is reported on in the press is what makes threads like this. No-one will remember the problems in 10 years.

Last edited by Laarbruch72; 16th Jul 2013 at 22:42.