PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2013, 21:29
FO Cokebottle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MPN11,

With all due respects Sir, I never said that it was ATC's responsibility. However, ATC are instructed on aircraft performance as part of their training.

In Amercia charts are designed to TERPS specifications. Elsewhere ICAO - Then local circumstances are considered. Not the other way around.

Hence, my post never indicated ATC was to blame.

I have always held the belief, since first venturing into USA Airspace, that ATC assumes that you, as the pilot, can be at a cleared to reference point in space at an particular altitude, speed and heading - hence, they assume you know how to fly. Where as in Europe, it is very procedural for obvious reasons.

I do not want to get into a p@#sing contest here but the obvious is the obvious.

I offer the AMS ATC instruction of when you are all set up with SPY, "xxxx direct to PAM decend to xxxx'" other than the terminal chart, please indicate where PAM is annotated on any STAR, APP PLATE or SID. yes indeed it, "only works because those in the know".

Interestingly, you contradict yourself with the statement "only works because those in the know ignore 180/5 and play 180/7".

If applying airmanship is "being in the know" which you seem to allude to some secret society, I stand guilty as charged - Sir

On QUIET BRIDGE approach at the bridge it is recommended to be at 1900' but airmanship calls for a more "gentlemanly" consideration to be at 1800' then a left side-step to align with the centre-line and, how to say this politely, and a momentary increase in loss of altitude to pick up the proper "sight picture" - having disenguaged all automation prior to the BRIDGE.

Two points to keep in perspective:

Flying is NOT a science its an ART

This accident commenced to happen at 500'