PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2013, 20:18
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple of points about the visual into SFO. Generally speaking 28L is fairly straightforward and often given to heavies. 28R can be much more challenging because airspace restrictions and noise abatement often mean a very high initial approach path. Someone earlier mentioned that ATC always know the ac limits. I beg to differ. With the greatest respect to SFO ATC I often think they presume a Heavy can do the same thing as a 737 we can't and some times the approach to the visual is absolutely on or beyond the limits of the ac performance. Someone mentioned the last crash at SFO being 40 odd years ago. Of much more interest would be the stats on go arounds at SFO. I think they should be looked at as part of this safety review. I have never seen as many ac go around at an international airport.

A final point on speeds. Heathrow ATC are always alert to what speed you have bugged on the MCP because they can see it. Heathrow controllers routinely space ac 3-31/2 miles apart on the approach, anyone tempted to bring the speed back early ( normal to get 160 to 4 DME ) can often get a correcting call by the approach controller because he/she is working so incredibly tightly with following ac. This could well have an effect on crews operating elsewhere. I am much more relaxed taking an "overview" on speed control with US ATC because the margins generally are not as tight, but if you slowed 2nm early at LHR you could well get ATC on your back in the nicest possible way. Not sure how compelled the Asiana crew felt to comply but it is good to get this stuff into the open.

Last edited by nigegilb; 16th Jul 2013 at 20:24.