PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CARDIFF - 2
Thread: CARDIFF - 2
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2013, 18:10
davidjohnson6

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
cym, mathers and supermarine - I really do appreciate your sentiment, trying to encourage us all to be supportive of Cardiff airport.

I guess what really gets me, is that Cardiff airport seems to be very heavily aimed at increasing the ways that Welsh residents can spend their leisure time on a Mediterranean beach. An example of this, is that Cardiff seems to be the only normal UK airport (oil-centric Scatsta doesn't count) to have significantly more charter passengers than scheduled passengers. Spending money over a week in Alicante does very little for the Welsh or UK economy.

There seems to be a lack of focus on encouraging tourists from outside Wales to pay a visit, or encouraging business routes which would lead to inward investment and stimulate jobs - if the Welsh Assembly felt it was worthwhile spending large amounts of taxpayer funds to nationalise the airport, then this is where the focus should lie. Govt should not be spending tax money on making it easier for the wealthier sections of society to go on holiday abroad !

Right now, Flybe + Eastern have the UK market sewn up nicely - with pretty much zero competition. The only significant continental connection that's useful for business is to Amsterdam.

Yes, the extra few flights per week to Dublin and the 1x weekly Dusseldorf is a start, but it's frankly not a lot.

Reprioritise Cardiff airport from an exporter of tourists to becoming a potential importer of investment / engine for trade and jobs and I'll be much more impressed.