PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 5
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2013, 17:40
marcrh1986

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Success of LPL

It's not an illogical argument. LPL is successful because they have a driving force behind them (Ryanair/easyJet) and MME is lacking in success because they are also lacking a driving force (absence of such an airline). Peel is the common denominator in both, if you want to attribute failure to Peel then by all means go ahead. The point I'm making is that you've got airports such as Blackpool, Humberside and Exeter which all historically had lower patronage than MME before the recession and appear to be faring well with somewhat decent services in areas where you might describe as being dominated by larger airports. Is the reason for this because of strong leadership and a clear vision to compete and provide a service?

I'd be careful when saying the people of Teesside didn't show commitment to the airport. If any business loses custom, it's unlikely to be a wise move to blame the customers? If it's supposed to be a commercial operation, then they need to provide a level of service from the airport. The renaming was a major PR blunder gauging from the ever-lasting discourse in the local media and any investment in terms of facilities isn't entirely obvious to me. Having last used the airport in April, it didn't appear in any better condition than it was when I first flew from there over 10 years ago. But let's stop looking at the past and think about the future.

The question is... what's next? The attitude that somehow MME doesn't matter is prevelant on this forum but perhaps it is for the people from the area who require business and leisure services to decide. The people who would benefit from real investment in the place are the ones to whom any airport owners should be accountable, as the primary customers and benefactors of the facility.