PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2013, 17:35
James7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suninmyeyes
Like someone else I wondered if the speedbrake had been pulled out earlier
Very good point, many times this has happened to me, the LG is selected down and speed brakes then armed as part of the sequence, then the PF uses the speedbrake and just stows them without re-arming them. Fortunately this is picked up on the ECAM landing checklist -Speedbrake .... and armed then selected. This usually happens in the Sim following multiple failures and me sitting in the right seat, not my usual seat. It has also happened a few times on the line, sitting in the right seat as PNF. I wonder if this was only picked up at 500' when the landing checks were done. I imagine the ECAM landing checklist is similar to the bus. This would explain the rapid drop in airspeed.

I believe the Autothrottle mode should also be displayed on the ECAM checklist. I know in the Bus the first line of the LDG checklist is Autothrust and the answer is Speed. However this is often missed ie just saying something that is not actually there. Also a common occurrence.

It would be a very simple thing to have -Autothrust ..... Speed. As a line on the ECAM. I am sure this would have saved a few embarrassing moments and in this case a crash.