PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2013, 11:17
tilnextime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOAC:

- first we need to establish these. Who does that? Manufacturer? PPRuNe? Regulator? Accident/incident records?
With the exception of PPRuNe each of the entities you mention, along with others, has a specific role. I exclude PPRuNe, simply because it has no formal accountability. Rather, I would suggest that formal, accountable, pilot input is needed.

I read post after post about pilot fatigue, yet not one post about ATC controller fatigue. A crew of 4 flew from point A to point B, knowing before takeoff that they would most likely have to make a visual approach. Meanwhile, the controller handling them was dealing with a long string of aircraft with no idea of whether any one of them had lifted a single finger to prepare for the PUBLISHED peculiarities of the airport.

Pilots are not the final word on what an aircraft can safely do. I have seen and or investigated far too many mishaps where well intentioned pilots made maneuver parameter or operating procedure decisions based on their cockpit view, and not the engineering principles used in the design and manufacture of the aircraft, for example. In one case, a "home brew" operating procedure that made the operation of a given helo "easier" for the pilots caused structural stresses that were, after repeated conduct, catastrophic.

Aviation is not just about flying. If it were, it would be so much simpler.