PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2013, 10:53
tilnextime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BBK

If the standards are not appropriate for getting the job done safely, then by all means, correct the standards. However, before one reaches a conclusion that all airports must have instrumented G/S facilities, one has to ask why. If the answer is to compensate for low proficiency crews, or to compensate for possible crew inattention, then the question is whether or not it is "sensible" to continue increasing automation reliance to address a crew problem arising from automation reliance. Now, that's a question I pose, not an answer.

One significant human factors problem I have dealt with as a safety officer, flight instructor, crew member, mishap investigator and unit commander is that pilots do not want to be measured "pass/fail" on set flying standards. We want the "system" to rate us based on what my first CO called the "Ace Factor" - the guy who is smoothest on the controls is the best, or the guy with the most hours, etc, etc. But for 99.9% of the flying that is done, we don't need "best", we need "fully competent", not just in stick and rudder wiggling, but planning and judgement. It's not a contest. Every maneuver has parameters - the "plus and minus" factor. Keeping it all in 'the green arc" is competency, everything else is testerone driven overkill.