PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hours to solo. Is there an age trend?
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2001, 17:34
Richard49

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aged 49 and first solo at 32 hours (mind you had 10 hours of club trips (Luxembourg, Isle of Wight and Jersey included in that) - passed GFT at around 70 hours and now have 140 hours in the books with 40 hours solo, but 20 hours of that 140 hours was a 20 hour night and IMC in the states. Work it out for yourself, now off to do a full instrument rating as flying in Ireland can't use my IMC here - I do know one thing I don't think age has a particular significance, but consistency of flying does, I did my night and MC at Ormonde Beach Aviation and there were plenty of UK guys who were there for a full 3 week course and when you fly consistently every day I know it makes a difference - the CFI there (Adrian from memory) was a real stickler and had no problems in failing anyone who didn't come upto scratch and although basically you were left on your own, the whole atmosphere of nothing but flying certainly does help.

God I hate Air Law and here I am doing it for a third time as it's covered in PPL IMC and IR.

ps: don't you just love this site it's soooo addictive!