PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2013, 04:20
220mph

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a majority (but not universal) feeling that the ATC advisory "180 kts to 5nm"/4-degree approach was a possible contributory factor.

I am sure that ATC did not impose this as a whim, in fact a couple of people have indicated that it is a common call for noise abatement reasons.
Seems to me that "noise abatement" and other non-aviation issues need to be discussed. If we start putting folks on the ground at a higher priority than aircraft I personally think there is an issue.

In Mpls the FAA has been trying to enact a new set of approach and departure routes they claim will improve safety. This will shift some noise to different neighborhoods. There has been a significant public backlash, including from the affluent community of Edina who complained pretty strongly.

That effort has successfully delayed implementation and spawned a bunch of neighborhood meetings etc.

I can't tell you about the pro's and con's of the new routing, but I do think if any ATC procedure has an appreciable potential effect on flight safety the decision should be easy.