PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Relief and the W crew
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2013, 22:58
hkgcanuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel this should go without saying but if you're a CN or an FO who will be switching off with an FO/SO who is not based in the same place as you, then you should let them know if you intend to rest at a "strange" time. For example, if you're LAX based and you want to work first out of LA on the midnight departure for whatever reason, that's cool. I'll enjoy my time in LA during daylight hours and be ready to sleep first. If you say nothing until sign-on, then I'll be ready to work first and toss and turn in the bunk until you decide you're tired at which point I'll headbob for the final 6 hours of the sector. Just doesn't seem very nice to leave guys in the dark if your body clock is somewhere vastly different than you're home base, whatever the reason.

From my perspective, it is very appreciated to receive a heads up from the CN regarding rest.

I am a commuter to HKG and as such it is easy for me fly through the night if I stay on my home time instead of moving over to Hong Kong time. I always try to give whoever I'm trading rest with a heads up and offer to let them sleep through the night because that often works best for everyone. If I'm with based guys, however, I am always prepared to work on HKG time because that is my base. Being a commuter isn't an excuse for that, in my opinion.

Am I out of line in my way of thinking?