PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian Air Shuttle
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2013, 22:21
LN-KGL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sunday8pm, Sterling flew both to CPH and OSL in 2007 + 2008 and the result was 5 555 + 26 011 passengers to/from CPH and 3 291 + 13 602 passengers to/from OSL. I was one of the passengers from EMA to OSL on 29 October 2007, and I would say the passenger loads on bord OY-MRH that day was shockingly low. Sterling failed miserably on the flights to EMA, not so much on loads as on yields. EMA was certainly a contributing factor for why Sterling had to file for bankruptcy and ceased to operate on 29 October 2008. I don't think Norwegian will like to end the same way, and therefore shun EMA like the plague.

I will agree with StoneyBridgeRadar's comment about the CPH-LPL route. In May the route had an average cabin load below 40%, and under normal conditions this route would have been classified as "been there, done that" route. The only UK airports that Norwegian can link to Scandinavian destinations with a profit right now are LGW, EDI, MAN, ABZ and perhaps BHX. The number of UK airports that can be served from the Spanish DY bases however is not as few as from Scandinavia.