PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2013, 16:02
A Squared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BuzzBox
With the greatest respect, I disagree. The typical 'slam-dunk' approach into SFO can be a challenge at the end of an ULH flight,
And

Originally Posted by BuzzBox
I don't know for sure, but previous posts on this thread would seem to refute your assertion that the distance to height was 'normal'. In my experience, long-haul flights coming in from the Pacific are typically held high (10,000-12,000ft over PYE), followed by a steep descent over the Bay area to join right base for 28L/R. It's certainly not impossible, but it can be a challenge to get down, configured and stabilised on the final approach.
This is an interesting phenomenon in this thread. It was established very early on, within a day or so of the accident that there was nothing "slam dunk" about this approach. That is very clear from the flight track data available on Flight Aware, almost immediately and has been confirmed repeatedly by all actual sources of real data released.

Once again: Asiana flight 214 was aligned on final by 14 NM from the runway threshold at 4300 ft.

This has information been posted repeatedly in this thread, yet still people insist that ATC gave them a "slam dunk" and somehow, without a scrap of supporting information, this becomes "truth"

Last edited by A Squared; 15th Jul 2013 at 16:14.