PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2013, 10:51
ross_M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I respect the trying to keep up some camaraderie as to not convict these pilots too early, but there is a limit to that, please.
+1

For those who want to stop discussing this till the official report is out: Fine. But if any system changes are going to result, the sooner the better.

The media, policy-makers and general flying public have fairly short memories. Once this disaster fades into the background no one will want to do anything about it. Those who want status quo, and unexamined dirty details need exactly this haze of time.

So if there is got to be any lobbying for change it better be soon. Personally, I'll fully agree that a full conclusion about the causes of this disaster, we don't have yet. But I'm a Bayesian, and based on past data and whatever details have been confirmed so far it is fairly clear what the likely causative factors are here. Not with 100% certainty of course, but that doesn't mean we ought to ignore the obvious and pretend we have no clue as to what went wrong.

To sum, whatever flavor be your reccomendations for change, the sooner they are lobbied for, the greater the chance that they will stick. The more you wait, the greater the likelihood this will be yet another disaster only remaining in the memory of technical forums like this one.

Last edited by ross_M; 15th Jul 2013 at 10:54.