PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2013, 10:24
glofish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, but how many times have you operated an unfamiliar 'heavy' widebody into an unfamiliar airport after a 12 hour ULH flight, at the back of your body-clock, without an ILS? A visual approach into SFO on a CAVOK day should be a non-event for a pilot who routinely makes such approaches, but I would suggest it's a very different story for the average ULH pilot who is new on the aircraft, tired and not particularly current. It's very easy to sit back and s***-can the guys involved in this accident - try putting yourself in their shoes.
The only thing i can concur that might be a tiny little help to excuse the inexcusable, is the first, namely operating an unfamiliar heavy. But that is exactly the point where the trainer steps in and by that i mean a trainer with experience on it. What Asiana did here, and many other inconsiderate airlines do, is pairing two pilots unfamiliar with their seat. That is almost a set-up for a problem.
I truly hope that the NTSB will point that out very clearly and some regulators will implement correction in that respect.

Everything else you pointed out is bullocks, sorry.

There is a reason we are still in the cockpit and a cavok day visual approach should in almost any case be a no-event with even a AT malfunction into SFO.

Otherwise please hand in your wings and enjoy airline flying as a passenger.

I respect the trying to keep up some camaraderie as to not convict these pilots too early, but there is a limit to that, please.