PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2013, 09:09
Running_In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stator Vane, thank you for your post. I couldn't agree more.

I have personally made plenty of mistakes, I have tried to learn from each one and hopefully it has made me a better & safer pilot.

777Boeing

You say the crew had non of the below..

''Technical knowledge, adherence to SOP, situational awareness''

Do you really mean that? Or do you mean the crew had all of these to a degree but on this occasion maybe a reduced level of one of them led to an accident.

The RAF has red and white checkered caravans at the end of all of it's airfields that operate fighter or training aircraft - the idea is for them to act as an extra level of safety, checking for aircraft approaching with the gear up. So, it is accepted that even the best of the best will every so often make a mistake and try to put one on the deck with no wheels.

By your logic anyone who tried that and has to go around because of a red flare from the caravan has no situation awareness and has no place in a cockpit, despite the potential to have thousands of hours of flying experience. They have just been found out for the frauds they are and are simply not up to the job.

By Stator Vanes logic they are people who are put in a demanding environment and every so often, because only the pope is infallible, they fail to get everything right. That is part of the job and they hopefully live to tell the tail and learn to go on to be better aviators.

Now the RAF went for Stator Vanes logic - I guess they are just a bunch of PC touchy feely mummy's boys!