PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2013, 07:47
kaokao

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asiana pilots

Well, I already told not a pilot nor at flight industry.

However I have been working with complicating systems runnig with automatic control containing embedded sw for decades years.

When I heard what happened during Asiana 777 crash, I instinctly started survey the relevant information such as technical documents and incident cases showing what autothrottle was and whether similiar event ever happened.

Actually it is quite shocking that many people have strong beliefs on sw. Most of people started put their blames on pilots but almost none paid attention to the possible sw/hw defect.

80~90% of detects/incidents what we have encountered was software plus hardware problem, which might be a algorithm fault, coding mistakes and CPU system down.

I can just guess why many people expect is - boeing 777 has such a renown record of safety during a decade's her flights.

However in my professional perspective, it does not mean system is perfect. If conditions put together, the system will collapse.

I do not put blame on boeing yet nor pilots.

Just I am trying to collect information as many as possible to understand what problem have happened.

So far one thing is clear.

NTSB reports do not contain all information enough to judge whether it is system defect or pilots mistakes. However most people believe they are responsible for accident.

As NTSB claimed, whatever the flight has problems, it is pilots' responsibility to maintain speed and altitude.

But I would like to say

whoever manuver the flight at the cockpit, none can save thier lives if engine is not working as intended.