PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2013, 22:01
C17_wannaby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have been reading this thread the last couple of days and I must say, It is extremely helpful.

A bit about myself: I first applied for pilot out of high school in 2005 and failed my pilot specific test (due to lack of study and ignorance on my part). I was a part of the AAFC from 2000 - 2005 and completed 18.6 hours in a Cessna 152 in Townsville, I was awarded the Peter Vidler Scholarship which provided a little bit of money towards my flying as well. Since I failed my testing I applied to the defence force to gain some experience, leadership skills and operational experience, I am now a serving member of the ARA for the last 5 years as an RAE combat engineer LCPL. I have deployed on OP SLIPPER and been posted to 3CER, 21 CONST SQN and now 20 EOD SQN. Whilst on deployment (between JUN - NOV 2012) I made the decision that I would reapply and put everything I had into achieving my childhood dream to fly, and as the name suggests I want to fly the C-17 through the RAAF DEO scheme. Since then I have submitted the appropriate paperwork and got the ball rolling, I am now waiting on my PSYCH / Pilot Specific Test to complete my application to send to the PSA. I have sought to conduct OJT's at 36 Sqn to gain some working experience within an active Sqn and I am going to take couple of more flying lessons to get back into the mind set.

My current priority is to pass the Aptitude test! I was almost about to buy a session with the PATS in Melbourne until I read the comments in this forum (Thanks for saving me $3500). I am fine with Instrument reading, coordination and estimation tests, though I hate to admit that my speed, distance and time skills are not so great, so I am working on rectifying that. At the same time I am researching everything I can for the OSB before I head to Tamworth so I am not ‘cramming’ while I am there.

My question is to the already ADF pilots out there is, from what I have told you, are there any shortfalls that you can see that will effect my success? What sort of questions do you think they will ask me?