PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2013, 17:08
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All the discussion about increasing manual flying hours sounds good, but there was the writer ho said he flies 8 sectors a month with 3 pilots. Each has to make a currency landing, then there is the autoland currency question etc. In some worlds it's not that practical and in the airports they use maybe not that useful anyway. LHR STARS are flown by ATC until G.S. capture.
In the short-haul world, very different. In the old days of Greek islands (and I wonder if it is still the same) the descending visual was the standard. Much beer was lost if you did not do a CDA or spooled up >1500'. It would be difficult for an XAA to impose a factor, as all licences are the same. It should be an airline culture thingie. Sadly that is going in the opposite direction.
One element of the attitude of the behaviour of the IP: not acting quick enough; should not have been rostered with a newbie in the first place; should not have been rostered into SFO knowing the lack of aids etc. One parameter I'll add is; given all these things were in place and did happen they he should not have given the sector to the newbie. A low experience on type pilot should be allowed to build confidence in a known and comfortable environment. Later you can pump up the volume.