PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is 45 minutes drive too long to the airfield?
Old 14th Jul 2013, 11:54
Ridger

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Take a trial flight to see how it grabs you. If it releases similar levels of dopamine that the rest of us experience, then you will gladly walk 100 miles on your knees for a 10% chance of a 10 minute circuit in between rain showers. And you'll be far too engrossed in chewing the aviation fat with newbies and sky gods alike to want to leave the airfield within an hour of landing anyway.

The time and budget conundrum applies equally to flying - the richer you are, the more able you are to rock up, fly and go. This is possible in gliding - you just need your own strip and >£100k of ASH-26E! For the rest, gliding is the ultimate 'all hands to w**k the elephant' exercise. When I learnt to glide I cycled an hour each way to the airfield, and averaged a 10 hour day for 3 winch launches. I like to think that commitment is reflected when I'm 150k from home, scratching in 1/2 a kt thermal to get home!

Time to spare, go by air is an ever appropriate adage I'm afraid, so if time is a factor then I would suggest you go the NPPL/LAPL route, although an hours flying generally involves an hour of prep and prob 30mins afterwards to fuel up, debrief if req'd, and pay your fees.

The easiest alternative is available on Wednesdays and Saturdays - 'tis only 6 numbers!