PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VOR A320 Radial intercept
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2013, 22:39
Natstrackalpha

Location: Not far from the edge of the Milky Way Galaxy in the Orion Arm.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOAC

Do you not have the equivalent of the Boeing 'VOR/LOC'? How would you fly a loc approach (non-RNAV)?
sorry, was that question for me . . ?

If you press the pb LOC then the nearest LOC is tuned in, if you select and insert the LOC freq on the RAD page then the LOC will (hopefully) be ready to tune into the LOC you want when you are in range - you identify it (naturally) - then when ready, press LOC which will light up. Alternately, you could hard tune the LOC freq on the RMP - and then you would probably have LOC on any standby VOR - I am not sure if the LOC pb would light up on this occasion or if indeed it would come up on the ND . . .? But, I should so I will go and look.

Thanks MCDU, I had thought of that method, but I was trying to figure out if I could do it without the . . . A320 going to the . . .VOR itself - your `heading to intercept sounds the best plan.

By the way there was/is a method where one can . .create a waypoint , sorry, create a `from` waypoint, then create a `to` waypoint and it draws a nice straight line for you on the ND and then you intercept the track you have just drawn, in heading, - but it seems to take a bit of messing about deleting waypoints or trying to get them to sequence - this is usually to intercept an airway or route connecting two waypoints and/or VORs.

mcdu - again

I had thought about your PBD method - and, like yourself elected to intercept using hdg to steer or indeed TRK/FPA.
(Of course, TRK/FPA)

EDA

Yep, got it.

F14

If coming from the South in my example then I would select the Radial Out on the DIR page - You wrote `in` am sure it was a typo . . ?

since the mid 90s europe went RNAV. Even our BaC 1-11s had a "beam bar". Sp tracking to and from radials is a blast from the past.
I appreciate this but I would also be wanting to intercept other radials of other things, like QDRs from NDBs and radials from waypoints - which although wpts don`t have radials per se` one can still create them as you know - for instance - PBDs not just VORs, which you can do in an A320, as you know. But there are stil loads of VORs around, aren`t there . . ? Knowing they are there and knowing how to use them is more advantages than not.

Thank you for all your help.

Last edited by Natstrackalpha; 13th Jul 2013 at 22:57.