PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopean 787 fire at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2013, 19:49
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HI Tech

Your statement that bonded repairs are only good shows that you are not aquanted with modern composite structural repair, using the correct techniques a bonded repair can match the strength of the original structure. ( we have never had a repair test piece fail and most are 2-3% stronger that the average new test piece) these are for primary structure items such as spar booms.

SRMman while I disagree with you about the use of bonding in that I am of the opinion that with the correct techniques a bonded repair would be lighter, replicate the aerodynamic shape of the original aircraft and. Be as strong as the original aircraft.

Unfortunatly Boeing have demonstrated ( just like Cirrus at the start ) that they don't understand the best composite repair techniques and revert to a metalcentric state of mine when it comes to fixing things...........so Unfortunatly I think you will be correct in that Boeing will end up making a poor, heavy and un aerodynamic repair, and wreck the advantages the composite construction simply because they can't break away from their metal bashing past, so you will probably be correct about the type of repair we will see.

Last edited by A and C; 13th Jul 2013 at 19:51.