PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2013, 18:54
Wizofoz

Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
In the case of the SFO Asiana crash, the pilot flying either forgot, that he put the engines in idle, when he needed to drop down quickly, to make an approach, and when he realized he was going too slow, instead of thinking, "Wait, let me think ... Oh yeah, I forgot that I turned the engines to idle a few minutes ago, to drop down, since I was too high, so I'll turn them back up", or he thought they automatically came back on, after being turned down, in which case he should have thought "Well my speed is too slow, maybe I was wrong about the throttle going back to automatic, automatically, and need to push them forward myself". Instead he doesn't think. He just continues to go in for an all but dead stick landing, after his speed was siphoned off from coming in low and flat at the end of his approach. I've studied how people think my entire life, and there's two kinds of people. The ones, who actively think most of the time (unless they are very tired), and people who only think when called upon to think. These pilots were the latter. In order for them to think, someone has to ask them a question. Maybe that's the answer for culturally challenged CRM. Instead of the telling the pilot flying to increase thrust, ask him "Are the throttles still at idle?" or for a little less thinking, the more immediate "Do you think we should push the throttles forward?". It's the Socratic method, where the teacher asks the students questions to make them think, and come to their own conclusions, but using it for non-ego-threatening or non-mutinous sounding CRM. Now that I think about it, this should be incorporated in training at risk for culturally challenged CRM crews.
Try and asses the competence of the audience you are posting to before hitting the "Reply" button- do you really think you are contributing anything useful to the hundreds of highly experienced pilots reading and writing here?