PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How does altitude affect the aircraft performance?
Old 13th Jul 2013, 12:14
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OAP - jolly good - I am aware of the functions of ADCs. I was flying CAS 40 years ago. This thread began with a simple question from someone who needed a bit of help in understanding the effects of altitude on performance. As so often on PPRune, the thread becomes the bandstand on which some folk can display their 'knowledge' about aviation matters that are not actually relevant to the topic and before long the thread will be full of erudite mathematical equations and the like and hin will probably have fainted.

In the interest of wiz and I trying to keep things reasonably simple for hin0727, we tried to 'keep away' from corrections to IAS - the OQ indicated absolutely no need to enter into that domain. Hin appears to have read a book which is guiding him/her in the right direction. Introducing CAS/EAS will merely confuse at this stage. Now then, tell me - is the speed you see on the ASI the speed indicated (which makes it the 'Indicated Airspeed'?) or not? As an 'oap', do you rotate when the given speed is indicated on your ASI? What is your definition of 'indicated'? If you were teaching an 'ab initio' about flying, would you launch straight into CAS/EAS?