PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bourn Airfield Development
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2013, 00:53
LukePilot152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry, but it's at this point that I have to step in and defend Bourn.

Yes, after covering over 40 hours there I'll be the first to admit that the runways are not perfect. However, while they are not perfect, 06/24 is useable and 18/36 is in a condition that I've never had any problems with.

Also, nobody I know that lives in the surrounding area wants the airfield to be built on. The extra houses will simply mean that the two villages of Bourn and Cambourne become connected.

Finally, the facilities. Bourn is not a busy airfield, so why do some expect it to have all the facilities of somewhere like Sywell or Leicester? If you fly into Bourn, you can have a free cup of tea or coffee and a chat. This all goes to prove that one of the true airfield killers is people's expectations being too high.

Everyone likes to pick on Bourn, this is something I've learnt after a few years going through forums. But before you hit out at Bourn, think about airfields like Henlow and Little Staughton. They have facilities and runway quality similar to Bourn. But I don't see them consistently under fire.