PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2013, 23:55
sandiego89

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
For desitter in post #1911, I think your term "Inexcusable" regarding the fire fighting vehicle perhaps running over a victim is out of line and does not help at all.

Tragic is a better word.

As others have indicated the victim, perhaps alive, perhaps not, was outside the fuselage and covered in foam. Debris were everywhere. Obviously several of the posters here have no idea of the complexities of operating a heavy foam truck near an active incident, or the procedures involved. There are clear procedures and getting foam on active flame, hot spots, spilled fuel, positioning etc. Foam application is not precise, it tends to go everywhere. Even with the engines clearly ripped from the aircraft they would have wanted to get foam around the engine pylons and wings to cover any leaking fuel. Remember foam is designed to cover fuel and prevent the oxygen chain from causing more fire. This is likely the reason they were spraying the engine areas.

Foam apparatus needs to be moved during an active incident to best fight the fire. These are huge trucks, often operating without dismounted ground crew to guide them to ensure the path is clear. These are huge trucks, and again the area was littered with debris, all covered with foam.

desitter would you prefer the foam truck sits 500 yards away and let the plane burn, with passengers perhaps still aboard, out of fear of running over a evacuee? I think not.

No one feels worse than the firefighters, believe me, and blaming them does no help.

Tragic, yes. "Inexusable" likely not.