PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision) 2
Old 12th Jul 2013, 21:37
fallenetti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, first of all I got myopia (-7,5 in both eyes). This is beyond the limit for class 1. I don't know about UK, but in Poland new EASA rules replaced JAR just on April 8th. I read new rules and saw that there is a hope in "(2) Initial applicants who do not meet the requirements(...)".
So, I wrote to ULC (polish equivalent of CAA) and got a reply from one of the main licensing guys. He told me, that the rule actually applies and people who do not meet above requirements will be reffered to licensing authority and, if the ophthalmologist gives the green light, there are CHANCES of obtaining class 1.
So, I believe that even if consultation works well for us, licensing authority can still classify us as unfit
All I can say for sure is: I don't know any people who passed their 1 class examination that way, mostly because EASA is new in Poland. And for second part of your question, you are right, you will be reffered to licensing authority only if you fail one of the regulations.
I'm going to call to one of the aviation ophthalmologists on Monday, I will ask him what depends on positive consultation resulting in passing class 1 eye examination.
I believe the ophthalmologist will have to do some other eye tests, that are not included in class 1 standard vision examination.
There is some information about it (from CAA website):

Assessment should be conducted by, or under the supervision of, an ophthalmologist and ensure that there is no underlying pathology or other ocular abnormalities. Monocular visual acuities shall be 6/6 or better. Assessment shall include:
1) Dilated, binocular, indirect ophthalmoscopy in cases of myopia exceeding –6.00 dioptres
2) Corneal topography at initial assessment (and at renewal where there is significant change in refraction) in cases of astigmatism exceeding 2.00 dioptres.