PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can you actually do a Visual Approach with confidence?
Old 12th Jul 2013, 21:20
quadspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm quite confident that today's CX flight crews can handle a visual approach, having the experience and skills to accept and monitor it to a) a successfull landing or b) a safe go-around.

Without drawing any premature conclusions about he Asiana accident, I'm by no means equally confident we can say the same in 10-15 years time. We've purchased a lot of experience over the years, and that experience has built our standards, trainers and flight ops reputation.

By ending the import of experience and flight hours, as a matter of politics and cost control, the mix will dillute to a point where the blond will be leading the blind.

And we will again apply the fix every short sighted investor loves, treat the symptoms and not the disease by banning visuals, manual landings and non-precision approaches all together.

But that's long after I'm gone, just like those who are currently overseeing this skills erosion.