PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2013, 19:55
220mph

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not according to that rather strange video of the fire crew[s] in action (search up-thread, please). The apparent inability to even squirt the foamy stuff where the fire was raging was disturbing. I have no idea about the techniques, policies or equipment, but watching a Major Foam Unit [as we called them] squirting foam at the left engine [that didn't exist] and not even moving close enough to achieve the necessary trajectory was …. interesting.

It got better when the local RED fire trucks arrived. They are used to dealing with fires.
I was immediately concerned when I saw the amateur video the first time ... fire trucks raced up at high rates of speed - including on the left side where passengers were coming down slides ... I believe you could see passengers scattering as the trucks maneuvered right in front of the slides.

And they seemed they kept moving in that area. Despite having a relatively long throw on their foam they drove up very close to the aircraft. It seemed 5 or 6 trucks arrived almost same time. One would think they would each pull up and stop in positions surrounding the aircraft and deploy fire measures as necessary. Many however kept moving, jockeying position.

This photo shows a good idea of the fire truck tire tracks. Sadly, if you look to the left front corner of the truck near the wing the yellow tarp might also show something else.

I believe one report noted the victim was found appx 30' from a boarding slide on left side of the aircraft.

There are several higher rez copies of this and similar shots - none conclusive - however the yellow tarp was in almost all of the post crash photos.

As this early pre-fire photo shows - there were many people in the area as trucks arrived, and there was no one/nothing in the spot the tarp now appears.

This higher rez shot shows the large number of people in the area as deplaning was occurring - again nothing appears visible in that spot.

In the overhead shot the tire tracks and tarp coincide.

I find it very hard to believe they sprayed foam on this young girl without seeing her. And if they did and she was run over in the foam - then that seems equally problematic.

Hopefully the emergency teams will develop an improved response plan - one that minimizes truck movement when survivors are present and requires on the ground spotters in that case.

Not an attack on the fire crews, just hopefully constructive review - I'm sure they are doing the same