PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2013, 19:52
MPN11

Received 137 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by JimField
All you have to do is look at the approach radar data for Asiana 214. It clearly shows the aircraft far above glide slope at 4.5 NM and 190 knots. Then it began a descent to acquire glide slope. It acquired glide slope at 1.3 NM and 140 knots, but continued descending! Then increased its rate of descent!! And continued to slow, until it hit the rocks.
Statement of the obvious, meant politely ....Any aircraft trying to comply with that procedure will be too fast and above the glide slope, with 5 nm to sort it out. Most pilots, I hope, can resolve that scenario in the time available.

But I ask again - and again - what is that procedure? Who on Earth approved something that puts you hot and high at 5 nm and then, on a Visual Approach, leaves you to sort it out?

Don't you think that's a bit unfair? I know/hope most of you can do that within 5 nm, but do you think thats a proper way to handle c. 300 pax down the back? Fighter pilot, yes … Civil Air Transport, perhaps not. Is this a factor? NTSA might determine so.