PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2013, 19:08
wcorcoran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am torn between protecting the airline pilots and getting the accident details.

I am deeply concerned that we are shifting into an environment where pilots can't make a mistake without fear of having ones life turned upside down prematurely. I don't think it serves the traveling public very well to have pilots walking on egg shells every time they enter the cockpit.

I also think pilots should be required to have three go arounds per year. This way, the embarrassment will be completely removed from taking such an action.

We need to focus more on why this crew waited until the last seconds to call a go around. To me, that is of equal significance than failing to monitor.

Airspeed works against you in high workload situations. Slowing down the plane gives you more time to process. How many crashes will it take related to airspeed before we admit that a stand alone warning is required. Requiring flight crews to monitor a small box on the speed tape that turns from green to yellow to red for such a critical parameter is absurd.

Yes. Professionals should be able to monitor these things without incident. But, why? Why take the risk? Humans are terrible monitors. Computers are excellent monitors. When the airspeed is trending too slow, give a blessed alert---with or without the autopilot engaged.

Finally, I appreciate the transparency of the NTSB, but we need to protect our pilots and I see no reason for not waiting to disclose any crew statements until more facts are in. I still want crew interviews conduced immediately. But, there is no reason we can't wait for other details to be fully corroborated before releasing one word from the pilots.