PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2013, 18:33
dba7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tilnextime

Not surprisingly at all. The Pilot in Command is the final authority on what a given aircraft and crew can or cannot do. ATC deals in general procedures, the PIC deals in determining if he and his crew can handle the aircraft to comply with those procedures. If not, it's the PIC's responsibility to request an alternative.

If automation is making some of the decisions, and ATC is making some of the decisions, what the hell are we pilots doing?
And that brings up another point, language/culture issue.

I hate bringing in culture/language issue but you have to remember the Korean pilots are not native English speakers.
So they had a choice
1. Say Unable and end up using English even more for explaining why and figure out new approach etc, ALL the while possibly risking getting too close to another aircraft

2. Or you trust your piloting skill and put your faith in your flying skill. I know that may sound hilarious to many at this point but I doubt they thought they lacked flying skill. Otherwise, they would've left the job long ago.

No idea about the comfort level the pilots had with English though. As someone who had to start learning English at pre-teen age, it's PRETTY hard. If you don't start young (like elementary school, even earlier), learning a new language is not easy.

who knows...

Last edited by dba7; 12th Jul 2013 at 18:42.