PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2013, 14:53
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope the quote by Lorimer from Deborah was inaccurate - "This was a visual approach which is a completely normal approach flown on a nice day with 10 mile visibility." - I would not classify a 'request' for 3-400 ft high and several kts fast at 5 miles to be 'a completely normal approach' and I hope the NTSB comment on this SFO procedure. I await the transcript/video of the conference. It is certainly another of those 'holes in the cheese'.
You can see Debbie (as she usually introduces herself at the podium) respond to a final question about automation starting at about 27:20 in this video:

Raw Video: NTSB Final Update On Asiana 214 Crash Investigation - Pt. 2 « CBS San Francisco

Her comment about a manually flown approach being normal and intended coming into an airport like SFO with the glideslope out on a clear, 10 mile visibility day is at 29:10.

You will have to let the video load for a minute or two before you can view the final minutes of the clip. Also, if you don't stop the video prior to the very end you will have to recue the clip starting with the commercial to review part of it.