PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The venerable Bell 47
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2013, 08:03
outofwhack

Location: ˙ǝqɐq ǝɯ ʇ,uıɐ ʇɐɥʇ 'sɔıʇɐqoɹǝɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɯɐu ɹıǝɥʇ ʇnd ǝɯos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter motor problem

I wonder if you have any experience with starting problems. I need help!

I have a Bell47G5A with Lyc-435-B1A with 24volt system and 'show of sparks' and I am having a lot of problems with the starting.
I've had this problem over 6 months! and I've only flown around 20 hours mostly due to these annoying problems.

Over the last 6 months I have gone through two starter motors and 3 starter drives aka 'bendix'. After fitting these starter drives - they work fine for a few starts (able to stay engaged until the motor starts) after which they eventually end up only ever turning the engine over one compression before the starter drive disengages.

With this problem I now have to try starting 6 to 10 times on average before getting the engine to fire. Even with the mags to OFF the starter only turns the engine one compression before the starter drive disengages.

A couple of licenced mechanics have checked the timing, replaced the starter motor, tried new starter drives and even replaced the ring gear but can't solve the problem.

Any ideas or recommendations on who to speak to?
If there were a modern alternative starter retrofittable to this helicopter I would buy it tomorrow!

OOW