PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2013, 06:32
Schnowzer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1867 posts in the thread and all "trained pilots" know the key is that the speedo on the left of the PFD has to be looked at occasionally and the throttle then moved appropriately. I am not one to be overly critical but sorry, it is all getting pretty silly nowadays. It is now 70 years since the Link Trainer was used to teach folks how to fly on instruments; it doesn't matter how well designed the aircraft are if those in the seats can't fly!

We have had Afriqiah, Turkish, Lion, Colgan and now Asiana fly aircraft into the ground that were perfectly Servicable. Pay to fly is rife around the world and I'd guess less than 1% of pilots have their basic training paid for by the carriers that employ them. I heard at a conference that the only entry requirement into pilot training is a credit card with a big enough limit. At the time it seemed pretty trite but until the industry decides it wishes to pay to select and train pilots with the appropriate aptitude and skills this will continue. The bean counters rule and right now accept this as being a cost of doing business!