PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2013, 00:26
Etud_lAvia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
automation dependency will come up as a huge factor in this investigation if they are Truthful
I'm at least as skeptical of the US government as the next guy. And of course, there are such strong emotions, varied interests, and vast sums of money surrounding air carrier crash investigations, that criticism and controversy are sure to happen.

That being said, I don't remember an NSTB air carrier crash investigation in which partiality to any business entity, department of government, preferred "philosophy of flying" or any other bias has deflected the Board from seeking the truth. Their investigations are pretty much the gold standard against which accident investigations performed in other countries are assessed.

If, as public information so far suggests, flight crew performance was a primary cause of this fatal accident, then we can depend that the NTSB will carefully consider all aspects affecting that performance -- and those aspects will included flight crew initial and type-transition training, qualification, recurrent training, and how the patterns of company flight operations (and transitions between types) affect crew skill levels and their cognitive biases.

For those on this forum who haven't read NTSB Accident Reports on air carrier crashes, I suggest that you may find it well worth your while to invest some time studying a few. Given the strong opinions voiced here, I'm sure many can find fault with these reports. For me, they are models of calm, objective and impartial truth-seeking.