PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2013, 22:40
archae86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Notes from July 11 NTSB press conference

These are my own notes. While I was typing as I listened, I am neither stenographer nor pilot. If someone posts better notes, I'll happily delete this post, or respond to corrections. I've consolidated material from the opening statement and answers to press questions.

From the CVR:
There is a sink rate comment before the 500 foot auto callout
Over time there are verbal glide path comments: first above, then on, then below

timestamps were not provided for the above, but were provided or relative order given for this final set (where I is the time of impact)
I-35 automated 500 foot callout
shortly thereafter crew member calls landing checklist complete
I-18 200 auto altitude callout
I-9 100 auto altitude callout
very shortly thereafter is the first comment regarding speed
I-3 a call for Go-around
I-1.5 second call for Go-around by a different crew member

Regarding the FDR:

220 of the 1400 parameters have been validated so far.

Engines and flight control services appear to have responded as expected to control inputs.

No anomalous behavior of the autopilot, flight director, and autothrottles observed.

She specifically stated that the fuel tanks were not breached, and that it was not a fuel-fed fire. She re-iterated a previous comment giving the near engine as the starting point, with an oil tank rupture providing the initial fire fuel.

Personal note: because the discussion here has shown intense interest in modes, I listened carefully, and believe no Flight recorder based mode information was given today at all. (yesterday's presser mentioned that multiple A/P and A/T modes were seen in the last 2.5 minutes, but today did not even revisit that).