PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2013, 21:45
Volume

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ASI has been reduced to a small tape indication on the display. I can't believe that the PF would have allowed the airspeed to continue to decay if he knew what it was. So, why didn't he know?
Airspeed needs a more prominent display.
Being a glider/PPL FI I used to do jumpseat rides frequently (pre 911...). Of course I always monitored what the pilots are doing (once an FI, forever an FI...). I always scanned speed on the backup ASI, which was a "propper" mechanical one, not an electronic small tape. Matter of habit of course, but mayby also indicating a human factors issue. I still find it extremely hard to see any trend on a speed tape unless some new color is coming in, while on the old fashioned round dial I find it so easy. I also find it easier to see margins to the ends of the colored arcs if I can see the full arc. It makes it so much easier to put the reading in proportion. I don´t know how others stepping up to "serious" aircraft after thousands of hours on "toy planes" managed the new style ASI. Or do you simply leave ASI to the A/T ?