PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2013, 20:46
the heavy heavy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boggles at the depth and pernicious level of airline pilot apologism there is on this forum.

So flying on sunny days is dangerous now? Auto throttle not working is an emergency
There's no apologism on this forum, what there is is an attempt to understand the circumstances that led to what appears to be a huge deriliction of duty by the operating pilots. There's also a degree of sympathy from those of us who have dealt with SFO's novel way of controlling heavies. That's sympathy, but it's a long train ride away from apologism!

Here's a news flash for you buck, flying on a sunny day can turn out to be a very dangerous day out indeed. The weather during my last Mayday was just wonderful, wasn't much help at putting out a fire though. What you call our 'apologism' is what NASA publish as its team skills debriefing guide which we use to review our performance. Learning from accidents like this is what the industry has spent 20 years trying to ingrain in us all! Negligence is rarely a result of willfull disregard, aviation is littered with the graves of the good intentioned performing below the standards required on that given day. We keep learning and relearning or we step back into a past that I'm in no hurry to return to.

If you believe its as simple as jonny foreigner isn't as good as us yanks then I despair. If your hearing apologism, I suggest your not listening.