PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2013, 17:32
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perhaps a bit too much focus on ILS. Please don't forget the PAPIs. Thanks to the PAPIs, this aircraft made it to the runway.
Not sure I would credit the PAPI's with barely getting to the runway after the bottom fell out on short final. But I agree that PAPI's should be available if at all possible, perhaps even more so in CAVOK conditions.

It shows the gs is not coincident. Would the TCH of 53 show them low on the PAPI at TCH 64? ( I assume the PAPI is set with the VGSI?)
The PAPI is the VGSI referenced on the approach chart. We swim in a sea of acronyms and obscure abbreviations in the flying business.

I commented here earlier about transitioning from FMS glide path guidance to a visual glide slope indicator (VGSI) with a different angle in a widebody aircraft but the post was perhaps too technical for non-pilots and was summarily removed. At any rate, vertical path guidance, both visual and computed was available but for apparently some reason not followed on short final in the crash of OZ 214.

The notams mentioned previously in the thread are indeed in some wacky 1930's teleprinter format and it is not uncommon for three of us in a widebody cockpit to be puzzling over what an item really means as we cruise the, uh, NOPAC CRS on the PACOTS.