PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2013, 17:21
Rananim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Political correctness out of control

This airline carried 300 passengers across a mighty ocean to one of the world's busiest airports and not one of its flightcrew members were competent enough to land it without ILS/PAPI guidance and automatic throttle.I hope that the NTSB,the world's best accident investigation authority,will have the guts to go a little bit deeper and call it for what it actually is.Pilots are no longer trained to fly the plane.Automation reliance is endemic.Political correctness is out of control.Airmanship replaced by SOP and rote.And this is mandated from top-down.
Passengers have a right to know that the airlines they fly with are not training their pilots to be able to fly and land the plane in case automation fails.
Boeing doesnt build any single crew airliners,yet many airlines in places like India/China/Korea operate this "no takeoff/land" policy where actually only one crew member(if you're lucky) up front is able to fly the plane and land it.We have 9000 hour pilots with 98% of that on LNAV/VNAV.Theres no experience,no backbone in a pilots resume anymore.I spent the last 12 years watching George do it..but Im damn good at paperwork and know my FCOMs inside and out.This has to stop NOW.Perhaps the NTSB will finally take it upon themselves to correct what should have been corrected.

I see the picture of the Asiana crew being paraded and I am saddened.Deeply so.The Koreans are capable and proud people and they know they let their passengers down badly.They in turn were let down by the system.The same system that should have trained them to do the job properly.