PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2013, 15:03
rottenray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always figured that was because he was part of the furniture, how does a second tourist look at a guy with 25 years experience and go 'Mate, what's going on?'.
... which brings us right back to the discussion of "gradient," in particular, those situations where some are bestowed with unconditional respect based upon characteristics which aren't necessarily relevant.

A pool of fuel I'd rather not reignite.

Course, I can at least understand your approach here: Put in all the aids possible so that the least-skilled (and those having bad days) are as safe as the most-skilled.

I would agree, if we were talking about something everyone did - like drive to work or to here or there. Certainly, it's in everyone's interest to make lanes wide, curves gentle, et cetera.

But in the case of this accident, I'd rather see things go the other direction. If it proves that 214 crashed because of too little hand flying / visual approach experience, then the industry needs to work at providing more hand flying and visual approach experience.

Because, in the grand scheme of things, an ILS OTS at a 2-mile-long runway on a beautiful sunny day is rather near the very low end of bad things that can happen during the course of a long haul flight.