PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stratoliner had about 50 gallons of fuel as it crashed
Old 4th Mar 2003, 11:02
f86sabre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kind of side note...

In May of 2002 my wife and I were planning our wedding. Our reception was at Salty's on Alki in Seattle . During the weekend of the 24th of March we decided that we were not going to get insurance to cover our wedding in case of accident or natural disaster. Insurance of that type is not uncommon here in the U.S. You can imagine my surprise when latter that week I saw the following picture:

http://aviation-safety.net/photo.sht...28-0-C-d-2-500

The restaurant in the background is Salty's! I spoke to the guy coordinating our reception and he said he saw the plane come in. When the plane came to a rest he called out to the pilots to see if they were O.K.. They said they were fine and asked him to call the police. Everyone evacuated onto the wing and awaited a boat to pick them up. A couple of the folks on the flight didn't even get wet! They made sure to land in the shallows so the aircraft would not sink to bottom. Parts of the sound in that area can be very deep.