PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - question about airline pilots life
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2013, 14:51
MarkerInbound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every airline is different. Some airlines work 3 days on, 4 days off, 4 days off, 3 days on. My old job was 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. Currently I owe the company 17 days a month. They can be all together or broken up.

You live in Chicago. If your airline based you in Chicago you might spend days on reserve waiting to fly and never leave town. You might get "turns" where you fly out in the morning and get back in the evening (these tend to go very senior.) Or you could be gone a day, three days or a week. Or your airline could base you somewhere else like Denver or Miami. All the same schedule options are there except now you spend part of your last day off traveling to your base to be ready to fly. And when you're done you may have to spend part of your first day off getting home. So three days off might turn into only sleeping in your own bed two nights and only one real day at home.

As to how much you'll make, again every airline is different. Airline pay gets complicated. Normally you have a "guarantee," a minimum amout you will be paid. Say your guarantee is 70 hours and you are paid 30 dollars a flight hour. You know you'll make 2100 dollars no matter what schedule you have. Then you have flight pay. If you flew 60 hours in a month that would be 1800 dollars which is less than your guarantee so you'd get the 2100 guarantee. But if you flew 80 hours that's 2400 dollars so you'd get your guarantee plus 300 dollars. And some airlines have "rig" pay where they pay you for how long you are away from your base. If your rig is one hour's pay for every three hours away from base and you flew two hours, sat two hours and flew back two hours you'd earn 2 hours rig pay. But you got 4 hours flight pay that day so it doesn't matter. Now say you flew an hour, sat around for ten hours and flew an hour back. You earned 2 hours flight pay but 4 hours rig pay so you get 4 hours pay that day. Some airlines pay rig based on each day, some airlines look back at the end of the month and see which of the three categories of pay is the greatest.

Like I said, complicated.