PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2013, 10:38
Plectron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While working as a Captain at another major Asian carrier we (pilots) were required to attend the Sim Evacuation exercises with the Flight Attendants. This is done in a full size cabin mock-up with motion that is next to the pool.

The way the exercise was supposed to go was that we were to have a water ditching. The Flight Crew (pilots) give the inital prep over the PA and the FAs brief the passengers. The briefing portion to the passengers by the FAs was very poorly done and few of the key points were actually accomplished to standard.

After the simulated touchdown in the water it was my task to issue the evac command. However, I took the option of playing dead - that is, I said nothing. And in the cabin, nothing happened. At all. Nobody did anything. Minutes passed. Finally. I gave up and asked: "Does anyone seriously think this aircraft is going to taxi to the gate?" (Remember this was a water "landing" - ditching). Finally, they carried on with the evac and everyone went out the slide into the water. Lots of giggles and wet FAs. Everyone passed of course.