PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hand luggage in an emergency evacuation.
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2013, 08:21
llondel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't stop to collect anything, but I'd probably take whatever I had on/around my seat, which would amount to a small bag containing my book and documents and possibly camera. I suspect women would have small handbags with them too, especially if that's where they've got their passports and other documents.

As with others, if I was trying to get out in a hurry and someone in front decided to stop and extract something from a locker, I'd be likely to push them to one side so everyone else could get past.

While it's not a good idea, I can see that if you're stood in the aisle waiting in a stationary queue, there would be time to get a bag from an overhead bin, but then you'd be more likely to be slower moving and more likely to damage the slide with something large. It would be interesting to see where the passengers with such luggage were seated, although there's one picture I've seen of the Asiana crash where a woman with a large bag has space in front of her and a lot of people behind her which suggests she held them all up.