PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision) 2
Old 11th Jul 2013, 04:35
Al321

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder, could anyone offer any personal experience or advice? My myopia is over the basic limits for a Class 1 initial. I have a current class 2 medical and had resigned myself to the consolation prize of PPLing but I still can't help but wonder if the wording of the eyesight requirement might allow an exception to be made in my case and that I might still pass a Class 1 and have a chance at a late starting flying career.

I am -7.75 & +0.75 in the left eye and -6.25 & +1.00 in the right, but the good news is that the correction works and I can see 6/6 with single vision contacts or glasses. Is there an abslolute limit for myopia beyond which no exceptions are made, or is there discrection for perfect correction?
It does certainly seem that there are provisions in place for those who exceed the uncorrected limit.

Visual System GM | Medical | Personal Licences and Training

(d) Refractive error
(1) At initial examination an applicant may be assessed as fit with:
(i) hypermetropia not exceeding +5.0 dioptres;
(ii) myopia not exceeding –6.0 dioptres;
(iii) astigmatism not exceeding 2.0 dioptres;
(iv) anisometropia not exceeding 2.0 dioptres
provided that optimal correction has been considered and no significant pathology is demonstrated.

(2) Initial applicants who do not meet the requirements in (1)(ii), (iii) and (iv) above should be referred to the licensing authority. A fit assessment may be considered following review by an ophthalmologist.