PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2013, 20:16
skytrax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@1a-sound-asleep

Interesting perspective. It brings a lot of light about the cultural component in korean aviation industry.
My friend who works with many koreans shares the point about the way koreans just memorize everything by heart when they have to study something. Understanding the content becomes somehow less important. Its more important to know everything and get a high passing mark.

An analogy
I have met once a korean and while talking about previous jobs I found out she was an English teacher some years before. I was kind of shocked because she struggled getting her pronunciation right very often. She probably knew the grammar and lots of vocabulary very well but when it came to speak the language she couldnt get it right after so many years.

Coming back to this accident, I must say that the reaction of the cabin crew post crashing was amazing. They really excelled getting everybody out despite the obvious challenges. Well done.

PS: on the news now, the korean civil aviation authority will look at the training procedures and start an investigation at all the airlines in the country.

Last edited by skytrax; 10th Jul 2013 at 20:18.