PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2013, 19:47
deefer dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1517: "As ATC in USA is non standard." Quite true in my opinion.

Most recently into NY and MIA twice vectored to the localiser well above the glide, and asked to keep the speed. Into MIA for two most recent visual approaches left hanging above the PAPIs before being cleared for the approach.

It's too early to say at this stage, but I'll bet that ATC was one of the holes in the Swiss cheese. Never in London TMA have I ever been vectored and expected to join any approach too fast or too high.

On another point, it is most certainly my opinion that no initial type rating course ever teaches any more than a rudimentary introduction to the operation of currently installed avionics suites. If I had a dollar for every time I have heard the expression "you will learn more about it on the line" I would be a wealthier man than I now am. It is an inescapable fact,as evidenced by the contributions thus far posted that many of those who fly the 777, that the foibles of the systems are not fully understood, or in many cases not even known.

It's my humble opinion that if we are to be expected to operate aircraft in automated modes, we should have a full and complete knowledge of the systems, precisely how the logic is programmed, what it will do at what stage of flight, and under what circumstances it might deviate from programmed norms. Regrettably in this day and age a $300 (net receipt to the airline) ticket to cross half the globe, will never fund a course of training to meet the requirements needed. And self study, if that's what the airlines expect of their post course rated pilots, will never fill the knowledge gap.

Who here who is qualified on the 777 can put their hand on their heart and honestly claim that they FULLY understand the avionics and flight command logic in every mode of automation?

Last edited by deefer dog; 10th Jul 2013 at 19:50.