PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - In Scotland's Defence
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2013, 18:22
rab-k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shetland choosing to belong to Norway (again) would make the maiden voyage of the new ship 'Scotland' somewhat akin to that of the Titanic.
The Picts 'lost' the Northern Isles to the Norse during the 9th century, through force on the part of the Vikings. Scotland, (by which time incorporating Pictland), retrieved these isles through treaty and Act of Parliament in 1472. Norway 'owned' the Northern isles for approximately 6 centuries. So long as my kids keep off the fags and booze, they will live to see the day when Scotland's tenure of the Northern Isles equals that of Norway's. (Hell, even I might manage to do likewise ). When the pre-Viking tenure of the Picts is included, Scotland already has Norway's temporary stewardship beat. So tell me again that 'other' version of history? (The Danes evidently ravaged the Isle of Wight in 871, perhaps the present occupants of that island might therefore like to revert to Danish rule).

As for flag waving....some people need to get a life...

And as for defence? (in chronological order)

Fresh defence 'scare' as yet another 'think tank' blasts independence

Scotland would be as safe with its own Defence Force

'The Scotland Institute' a Scare-Story Howitzer

Response to most common arguments against Scotland Institute’s Defence Report

Hundreds lose jobs as MoD redundancies hit Scottish communities

Originally Posted by wikipedia

The Scotland Institute is a think tank operating in Scotland which describes itself as "progressive and independent". It was founded by Azeem Ibrahim, a "hedge fund millionaire", and formally launched in June 2013 by Alistair Darling, former Chancellor of the Exchequer, shortly after he was confirmed as the leader of the Better Together campaign against Scottish independence. Its first major report is called Defence and Security in an Independent Scotland, which considers the impact on defence in Scotland in the event of a Yes vote in the Scottish independence referendum, 2014.

Alistair Darling: "I believe we can cement Scotland’s place in the United Kingdom once and for all"

Jackson Carlaw: "If you are a supporter of any political Party, or none and wish to campaign to renew the most successful political and economic union in history then do sign up to Better Together"

Jo Swinson: "I look forward to making the case for more powers for a Scotland which works as part of a United Kingdom. I hope as many people as possible across the nation take the opportunity to show their support for the Better Together campaign."

Dr Azeem Ibrahim: "in the context of calls for independence from people suffering under repressive dictatorships around the world, it is hard to see the SNP's demands as anything but sentimental, and even frivolous."

The Scotland Institute, "progressive and independent" .... my @R$€.....